Shrimp Gazpacho uses the best of summer produce. This tastes best if it sits overnight, so this is a great make ahead dish for a summer party or a light meal on a hot summer night. Making your own croutons is a nice touch!
- 3 Medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 1 red, orange or yelllow bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 1 medium onion, chopped (about 11/4 cups)
- 3 cup 3 cups canned tomato juice or V-8 (Spicy is great!)
- 2 tbsp 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (such as tarragon, thyme, or parsley), chopped
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Kosher salt
- Cayenne pepper, or Spanish seasoning See not below for link to seasoning recipe
- Extra large shrimp, cooked, 2-3 per person
- Croutons, to garnish. Homemade recipe included.
Cut the veggie's into similar size pieces. Add to large bowl. Reserve a little each of the tomato, cucumber, pepper, and onion for garnish.
In the food processor or blender, purée the remaining ingredients (except the croutons) until smooth, adjusting the seasoning to taste with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper. You can also do this by hand, just make sure your garlic and herbs are minced finely. Add to chopped veggies. Taste for salt and pepper.
Cover and chill thoroughly, at least 3 hours but preferably overnight. Taste again after chilling for seasoning. Serve in bowls garnished with the reserved vegetables, shrimp and croutons.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Use stale, or day old bread. Remove crusts from bread if you like, this is not necessary. Cut bread slices up into cubes, about 1 inch or bigger. Toss with olive oil or a mixture of olive oil and melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes or until browned and crispy. Stir once half way through Let cool. Store croutons in a container with lid or plastic bag. Best used right away. Homemade croutons are still a little chewy in the middle, unlike store bought ones.