Posted On March 28, 2019
This recipe uses the best of summer produce. Take the time to cut the veges by hand, not only does it help with knife skills, but it tastes better. Making your own croutons is a nice touch! This make a great appetizer for a fancy cookout, or a light meal on a hot summer night!
You can use your own DIY Spanish Seasoning instead of salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- 3 Medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 1 red, orange or yelllow bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 1 medium onion, chopped (about 11/4 cups)
- 3 cup 3 cups canned tomato juice or V-8 (Spicy is great!)
- 2 tbsp 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (such as tarragon, thyme, or parsley), chopped
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Kosher salt
- Cayenne pepper, or Spanish seasoning
- Extra large shrimp, cooked, 2-3 per person
- Croutons, to garnish. Homemade recipe included.
- Cut the vege’s into similar size pieces. Add to large bowl.
Reserve a little each of the tomato, cucumber, pepper, and onion for garnish.
In the food processor or blender, purée the remaining ingredients (except the croutons) until smooth, adjusting the seasoning to taste with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper. You can also do this by hand, just make sure your garlic and herbs are minced finely.
Add to chopped veges. Taste for salt and pepper
Cover and chill thoroughly, at least 3 hours but preferably overnight. Taste again after chilling for seasoning.
Serve in bowls garnished with the reserved vegetables, shrimp and croutons.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
Use stale, or day old bread. Remove crusts from bread if you like, this is not necessary. Cut bread slices up into cubes. I like them a bit on the large side. Toss with olive oil or a mixture of olive oil and melted butter.
Bake) for 15 minutes or until browned. Stir once half way through Let cool.
Store croutons in a container with lid or plastic bag.