Fusion Pho Meatball Soup
In this soup I have fused Vietnamese Pho soup with Korean Meatballs. It is so good. It’s not too spicy, a little bit sweet and so comforting. Make a pot with my Korean Spicy Burger and Meatballs recipe and slurp your way to heaven. Make enough so you can take some to work for lunch the next day.
- Make a batch of Spicy Korean Meatballs. Bake as directed. Or make a batch of traditional meatballs, see below.
- 1 Star Anise pod
- 1 inch chunk of ginger, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, cut inhalf
- 1 med. onion, quartered, peeled
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 tbsp each, Soy sauce and Fish sauce
- 4 oz Thin rice noodles, cooked according to package directions.
Or take a short cut and use:
- 2 qt Simply Asia Vietnamese Inspired Pho Beef Broth
- Spice it YOUR Way with grated ginger, garlic, and/or minced hot peppers.
Traditional Asian Meatballs
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup Plain bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp Chopped cilantro
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot chili sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground ginger
Serve with Garnishes
- 1 cup Bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp Chopped green onions
- Sliced jalapeno pepper
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F. If you are making Korean Spicy Meatballs go here for the recipe.
If you are using the traditional meatball recipe, mix ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, cilantro, chili sauce, garlic powder and ginger in large bowl until well blended.
SHAPE into 1-inch meatballs. Arrange meatballs in single layer on parchment lined baking sheet.
BAKE 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through. Drain fat, if needed. Set aside.
Make Broth and Noodles
- Saute aromatics in 1 tbsp oil until deep brown in color, burnt is actually okay. Add in 1 qts. chicken stock, either homemade or store bought. Make sure it’s low sodium.
Add sugar, soy sauce and/or fish sauce and simmer for 30 minutes covered.
Strain and return to pot. Taste for seasoning. Add soy or fish sauce if not salty enough.
If using store bought Pho broth, bring to boil, simmer 10 minutes if you are adding your own spices. No need to strain.
While broth is cooking, make noodles. Follow package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Place noodles in bottom of deep individual bowls, add in cooked meatballs on top. Cover with hot broth and serve with condiments. Allow each person to add what ever condiments they like!
Slurp and enjoy!