Chaat Masala Powder
Posted On April 22, 2020
Chaat Masala is used as a sprinkle over fresh fruit and or vegetables as a refreshing street food. Great way to get your kids to try new things! Put a plate of cut up watermelon, pineapple and cantaloupe sprinkled with Chaat Masala out on a hot day and watch it disappear!
The ingredient list is pretty long, but if you have your Indian spice cabinet stocked, it won’t take you long at all to measure out the spices. Of course, you can add as much or as little of any of the spices that you like. Don’t use any chile powder if you want it for the fruit unless you like that kick of heat!
This recipe uses some of the more rare spices, if you don’t have an Indian market near you, you can order them here.
Chaat Masala Powder
Whole seed Chaat Masala
- 2 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp Ajwain seeds
- 1 tsp Whole black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Dried mint
- 1 tbsp Kala namak powder Black Salt, omit if you can't find it
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 3 tbsp Green mango powder
- 4 tsp Tamarind powder If you can't find this use more mango powder
- 4 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder If you can't find this, use 2 teaspoons paprika and 1/2-1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
Ground Spice Chaat Masala
- 2 tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Asefoetida, (Hing)
- 2 tbsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1 tsp Black Salt Use kosher salt if you can't find this
Whole seed instruction
- In a dry sauté pan over medium heat, toast first 5 spices until just warm and fragrant. Be super careful not to burn the seeds. If they burn, you must throw them out and start over.
- Use a mortar and pestle, or a spice grinder, and grind spices to a powder. Combine all ground, toasted spices with the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Store chaat masala in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months. It's best to make this a day ahead as the flavors can get a chance to mingle together.
Ground Spice instruction
- Mix all spices in a bowl and store in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 months.