Fried Plantain, Ndizi Kaanga
Posted On January 15, 2020
Ndizi Kaanga is a popular meal in Zanzibar, usually consumed as a snack or side dish served along with a meal. It’s a nutritious snack and a favorite among locals. I actually like them along with pancakes for breakfast.
The plantains used are the unripe ones, but green bananas can be substituted. Plantains are really easy to find in the grocery stores nowadays. You can usually find them in different degrees of ripeness.
The plantains can either be fried or grilled. Both ways are delicious! If you want a more savory plantain, such as for a side dish with a meal, just sprinkle with salt instead of sugar and nutmeg. This way is more popular in Tanzania.
- 8 Whole Green plantains Use green bananas for a substitute
- Butter, melted
- Lemon juice
- Brown sugar (optional)
- Cut and quarter the bananas or plantains.
- Melt butter in a frying pan.
- Dip the banana pieces in lemon juice and place them in the buttered frying pan. Lightly brown, remove, and drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and brown sugar, if desired. Just use salt for a savory version.