You can make this recipe into burgers or meatballs. I like using Serrano peppers, but you can substitute any pepper you like, or use crushed red pepper flakes. Of course you can Spice it YOUR Way! and leave out spicy peppers if you don’t like spicy food or are making this for kids.
I’ve also included a recipe which uses Gochugang, which is a really spicy Korean fermented chili paste. It has a flavor the American palate is definitely not used to, but is really yummy mixed with ketchup or mayonnaise. I love making this ketchup as a dip for these meatballs as well as ribs and chicken. If you don’t have lime juice, just leave it out.
Spicy Korean Burgers and Meatballs
- 1/2 lb Ground pork
- 1/2 lb Ground beef
- 4 tsp Korean Spice blend See below for link to recipe
- 1/4 cup Minced scallion
- 1/4 cup Minced parsley or cilantro, or a mixture Substitute 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1-2 small Chili peppers, seeded and minced Serrano work well
- 2 tsp Soy sauce
- 1/2 cup 1/2 c ketchup
- 1-2 tsp Gochugang Substitute Sriracha or any other chili sauce
- juice of half a lime optional
Make the Meatballs or Burgers
Mix all ingredients together and form meatballs or burgers. Grill or pan fry. Serve with burger rolls and condiments. Make 1 inch meatballs for use in Fusion Pho Soup. Bake on parchment lined baking sheet 15 minutes at 350F. Makes enough for 4 generous servings.